Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wheat Queens


Hi there, happy Wednesday and happy St. Patrick's Day. I was just winding down this exciting evening with some laptop house cleaning while sipping on a green pint (well, a glass of red wine actually, but with lots of Irish spirit). While deleting unnecessary junk, I flipped through a few photo files and I found a pic that I wanted to share with you. My dear friend and creative partner Lise Hamilton and I have been designing and creating sets for Between Shifts Theatre for a number of years now. I am especially happy with the way this one worked out. This award winning set, for the play Unity 1918, was based on a very simple design, painted on a giant canvas (18 x 34 feet) and suspended from a variety of theatre ceilings. The smaller strips of material in front (with wheat painted on them) were held loosely in place by hidden wooden frames and made to move to the breeze of fans hidden in the theatre wings. We whipped this up over a handful of evenings and a weekend. So much fun:)

I have recently taken a break from set production in order to care for my (now almost 4 month old!!) son. While it is super hard for me to actually achieve, a break is necessary to avoid burnout (definitely not the desired effect) and a great way to allow other creative juices to flow. I've been enjoying this break by working on a new series of paintings that I hope to share with you soon. Until then, think 'ninjas.'

Take care. Talk to you again soon.

(Photo by my fantastic and talented photographer husband, Brian Thompson)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails