Thursday, April 29, 2010

From Germs to Graffiti and Back





Hello friends, so nice to see you again:)

We have been sick! My poor little boy caught a cold (first one ever) at a friends birthday party, and it promptly raged through our family like wildfire. We're on the mend now, but it totally sucked. Worst part was watching my baby suffer and not being able to do much to help. I guess the upside is that he's added another block to his wall of immunity. We don't want to see another one of those for as long as possible, but as everyone knows, children are germ factories, so I'm sure this was just the first of many.

We finally made it out of the house for fresh air and we ran into these interesting images on the underside of a local train bridge. I couldn't get as close as possible to the top piece of graffiti - I had the baby on my back and there was a river between us and the wall - so the photo definitely does not show the amazing amount of detail included by the artist. The first piece is of the front end of an old car (reminded me of my family's boxy old Bonneville) under the word "Freedom," whose 'F' is overlaid with a 'D.' The second is of a large head (side profile) with an angel figure at the back of the head and a devil in front of the face. The second image had a note next to it stating "Portrait of the artist having a think. n.f.s." Very interesting and involved art. I think the same artist must have been responsible for both of the above pics, as they seem to have been done in the same style.

I love good graffiti... and am amused by bad graffiti. The wall across from the second image had a very quick and childlike "BC Bud Rules" scrawled along it.

Skip to the next day and I had forgotten about the graffiti we had encountered on our walk. I was thinking about the gnarly nature of germs and thought I'd look for some images online. Interestingly, I repeatedly came across a cool LA artist named Jamie "Germs" Zacarias. His work is surreal, involving numerous multi-tentacled characters, many of which wearing traditional Mexican wrestling masks. Through further digging I found this video (via YouTube) of an LA graffiti tour including the artwork of Zacarias, amongst others... which reminded me of the train bridge graffiti... and the circle was complete.



If you want to see more of Zacarias' intricate and highly amusing art check out his site at:

http://www.germs4u.com/

or a YouTube video tour of one of his solo shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qb0ZrX3Z8c


Take care. Talk to you again soon:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails